5. French Potato Salad.
- 2 Pounds red potatoes, scrubbed & sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 Tablespoons table salt
- 1 Medium garlic clove, peeled & threaded on a skewer
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon minced shallot (about 1 small)
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 Teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 Tablespoon
- 1 Tablespoon minced chervil (if you can’t find chervil, add another 1/2 tablespoon parsley and 1/2 teaspoon tarragon instead)
1. Fill a large saucepan with 6 cups cold water. Add potatoes and salt to saucepan; turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer. Add skewered garlic to water, and blanch for about 45 seconds before immediately running under cold water. Take off the skewer and set the clove aside. Cook the potatoes for about 5 minutes, until tender but still a little firm. Reserve about 1/4 cup cooking water and drain. Transfer potatoes to a rimmed baking sheet and arrange them close together.
2. Mince garlic clove. In a small bowl, place garlic, potato cooking water, olive oil, champagne vinegar, mustard and pepper. Whisk together until dressage is well combined. Evenly drizzle over potatoes and let stand for about 10 minutes.
3. While you’re waiting on the potatoes, add shallots and fresh herbs to a bowl and toss gently. After the potatoes have set out for 10 minutes, transfer them to a serving bowl Add herb mixture to potatoes and lightly toss with a rubber spatula. Serve at once.
Recipe Credit: America’s Test Kitchen.