Fresh Tomato-Basil Soup (Recipe)
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Red onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 Unpeeled carrots, chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 5 Large vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh basil, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
- 3 Cups vegetable sock
- 1-1 1/2 Tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 Tablespoons freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
1. In a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat, heat oil. Stir in onions and carrots and cook until very tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, and lower the heat and simmer until the tomatoes have become very tender, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream.
2. Run the soup through a food mill, if you have one, and discard the dry pulp leftover. If you don’t have a food mill, puree the soup in either an immersion blender or food processor. Return the soup to the pot, and gently reheat until just hot. Garnish with basil and serve.
Recipe Adapted From: Ina Garten.