Garlic-Tarragon Eggs on Salad Greens – Recipe
This deliciously sophisticated herbed version of deviled eggs makes a lovely spring salad served on a bed of fresh mesclun greens.
Easy to make and great to take to parties and picnics as the weather warms.
8 large eggs
12 cloves mild garlic, peeled
3 teaspoons drained capers, rinsed
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons freshly-ground green peppercorns, garnish
1. Place the eggs and garlic in a medium saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer 10-12 minutes.
2. Take the eggs out of the saucepan and immerse them in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes. Remove the garlic from the saucepan and set aside to cool.
3. Drain the eggs, remove the shells, then slice the eggs in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and place them in a small bowl or in a food processor. Add the garlic, capers, and oil. Blend with a mixer or food processor at medium-low speed until the ingredients form a chunky mixture. If using a food processor, transfer the mixture to a small bowl.
4. Add the tarragon, basil, and vinegar, and stir by hand 1 minute, or until the ingredients are evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Fill the egg white halves with the mixture and garnish with ground green peppercorns. Chill at least one hour before serving.
Adapted from The Onion Harvest Cookbook by Barbara Ciletti (Taunton Press, 1998). Copyright (c) 1998 by Barbara Ciletti. Reprinted by permission of Taunton Press.
Adapted from The Onion Harvest Cookbook by Barbara Ciletti (Taunton Press, 1998).