We could not be happier that October is Vegetarian Awareness Month. To celebrate, we decided to mix up our usual Saturday book giveaways and give away vegetarian cookbooks all month. First up is The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley. The recipes are organized by regions around the globe and all are made using–you guessed it–a slow cooker. Here are two mouthwatering recipes from Asia and the Middle East. Don’t forget to leave a comment for your chance to win the book!
Potatoes and Peas in Red Curry Sauce
- 2 pounds small red or yellow potatoes, cut into 11/2-inch pieces if necessary
- 1 yellow onion, sliced vertically into sections
- 1 can (about 14 ounces) coconut cream (see Note below)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 11/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted cashews, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
Note: Coconut cream is a thicker version of coconut milk. It will say coconut “cream” right on the can. The mouthfeeel of the cream is much richer than that of the milk, and as you might imagine, it is also higher in calories. You can substitute coconut milk for the cream in this recipe, but it is soooo good with the cream.
1. Wash the potatoes thoroughly and place them, along with the onion, in the slow cooker insert.
2. Mix the coconut cream, red curry paste, sugar, and soy sauce together and pour over the potatoes. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours, or until the potatoes are somewhat tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Add the sweet potato, cover, and continue to cook on low for another 2 to 3 hours, or until all the vegetables are tender. Add the peas along with salt to taste and continue to cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer.
4. To serve, sprinkle each portion with 1 to 2 tablespoons cashews and some cilantro.
Next: Chickpea Fattet “Tostadas”