Grilled Asparagus With Parmesan & Garlic
Grilled asparagus has been one of my go-to veggies for years now. It’s easy, it’s tasty, it’s good for you. Just toss with some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper and throw it on the grill. Unless you really char the heck out of them, you can’t go wrong.
My friend, Lynn, suggested adding Parmesan so I gave it a shot and, as you might have guessed, it’s even better this way (though you can clearly skip the cheese if you’re looking for a great vegan side dish.)
You’ve got the partly sweet, partly savory, nearly impossible to define but very tasty (unless you’re Japanese and then you apparently call it “umami”) asparagus flavor and the garlic plus a little bit of salty, rich, melty cheese. It is GOOD.
And don’t forget that it’s super easy. At this point in our lives, it has to be super easy or I can’t make it. Is it obvious that I’m longing to have hours to spend cooking in a spotless kitchen (possibly an all-white kitchen because this is a fantasy and someone else would be cleaning it) in blissful silence, without my beloved and wonderful but incredibly demanding, messy and noisy little boys at my feet (or on my back as is often the case during these times of teething)?
Hope these asparagus put a smile on your face and a yum in your tum.
Grilled Asparagus With Garlic & Parmesan Cheese
Serves 4 as a side dish
*1 bunch asparagus
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed or minced
* 3 Tbsps grated Parmesan cheese (you can also use Romano, locatelli, etc.; any salty, hard cheese would work)
* 2-3 Tbsps olive oil
* Sea salt to taste
* Black pepper to taste
1. Wash the asparagus and snap the woody ends off (you’ll feel where you should snap when you bend them a bit) and place them in a large bowl. Preheat the grill and give it a good scrape to clean it.
2. While the grill is heating up, toss the asparagus with all the other ingredients until well-coated.
3. Lower the flame to medium and lay the asparagus spears crosswise to avoid dropping any through the grill. Cover and grill for about 5 minutes, turning often to prevent them from burning. Grilling times will depend somewhat on how powerful your grill is and also on the size of the asparagus.
You might also like:
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits of Asparagus
- Asian-inspired Grilled Asparagus
- Asparagus with Goat Cheese, Candied Pecans & Bacon
- Lemon Aioli, Roasted Beets, Asparagus & Oven Fries