Grilled Portobello Burgers Recipe for Memorial Day
With Memorial Day Weekend on the horizon and barbecues to attend–or host–what’s a vegetarian to do?
This is the quickest and easiest way to make a healthful veggie burger that we’ve ever run across. Portobello mushrooms are just the right size for burger rolls, they grill up beautifully, and their meaty texture and rich taste will have everyone asking for seconds.
This recipe includes some great, unusual topping ideas to make your cookout really special. And if you don’t feel like grilling, the recipe works just fine in a pan on the stove. Create your own quick and easy signature burger!
4 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1/2 cup tomato-based barbecue sauce or olive oil mixed with 1 crushed garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
4 whole-wheat rolls, halved
Grilled onion slices
Lettuce leaves and sliced tomato
Bleu cheese and chopped walnuts
Cajun hot sauce
Fresh minced herbs
Pesto mayonnaise and sunflower seeds
Guacamole or salsa and sour cream
Sliced avocado, chopped raw onion, sprouts
Chopped mushroom stems sautéed in butter or olive oil with garlic and fresh herbs
Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, minced jalapeno peppers
1. Prepare a medium fire in the grill.
2. Brush the mushroom caps with olive oil or barbecue sauce.
3. Grill mushrooms (and onion slices, if you like them), turning occasionally until tender and grill-marked, about 10 minutes. Grill the rolls until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes on each side.
4. To assemble the sandwiches, lightly brush the cut side of the toasted rolls with the remaining olive oil or barbecue sauce. Add Portobello burgers and desired toppings.
5. If pan-frying the mushrooms, simply cook in a little olive oil over medium heat until tender, turning occasionally.
Adapted from The Vegetarian Grill by Andrea Chesman (Harvard Common Press, 1998).
Adapted from “The Vegetarian Grill” by Andrea Chesman (Harvard Common Press, 1998). Copyright (c) 1998 by Andrea Chesman. Reprinted by permission of Harvard Common Press.