Times have changed. The days of Rhett Butler telling Scarlett O’Hara he didn’t give a damn are long gone. That’s a shame in some ways. At least it made dating simple. Nowadays, guys try to be considerate in an attempt to not hurt your feelings. His miscues make it hard to know whether he’s really into you, just wants to be friends or would love for you to switch phone plans. While words might not be his strong point, his actions are. Keep an eye out for these kinds of behavior.
- He actively takes an interest in you and what you have to say. He’s not just nodding and smiling and checking his watch every five minutes like you’re trying to sell him life insurance. There’s eye contact. He’s actively listening. He’s asking questions, relating things you say to his own experiences. If he’s really good, he’ll remember something you said and incorporate it in a future date.
- He’s forthcoming. He wants you to know about him. This manifests itself in a bunch of ways. He’ll share personal details about himself. He’ll even be eager to cough up basic factoids such as phone numbers, his address and place of work. If he isn’t giving up this kind of info, then he doesn’t want you tracking him down — or he’s Batman or Superman. So if he doesn’t live at Wayne Manor or the Fortress of Solitude, give it up.
- He’ll mark his territory. He won’t pee on you or anything per se, but he will exhibit some animal behavior. If he’s decided he wants you as his female, he won’t want to lose you. If there’s any chance that you might be snapped up by another male, he’ll stake his claim. He’ll be tactile with you, slipping an arm around you, possibly posturing and standing up when another guy walks onto the scene. Watch out for some regression to a more primitive man. If you hear grunting, don’t panic. It’s his way of saying he likes you.
- He calls you back. Despite the stereotype, he will call you back. If you’re a girl in demand, he won’t want you to be the one that got away, so he’ll call you to set up the next date or ask how you’re doing. If you’re getting calls for no reason, that’s a good thing. However, you may want to invest in a good phone plan.
- He’ll check you out. You’ll bring out his spy skills in a good way. He’ll talk to your friends to get the 411 on you. He wants to know more about you — your past, your present, your likes and dislikes, water hazards, etc. He’s doing his homework because he wants to impress you. He’s gathering this intelligence so he knows how best to woo you.
- He’s flirtatious. Guys get playful around women they like. It’s a little dance he’s doing around you to show his interest and his daring. However, he’s not just being flirty, he’s also probing. He’s putting on a little show for you to see if you’ll reciprocate. The more you play, the more he stays. Now shake that tail feather.
- He’s always planning ahead. If he digs you, he won’t want you getting away from him. To make sure you aren’t prey to some other guy, he’ll be making plans for the next date before the current one is over. A full calendar is a good sign.
Next: more signs he likes you and classic dating mistakes