- He’s attentive. He’s been listening to you, and knows what you like and where you like to go. He treats you to your favorite things and places. He’ll spring surprises.
- He’ll blow off his buddies to be with you. It’s always tricky managing existing commitments with burgeoning relationships. There are bound to be conflicts of interest at the some point. So take it as a good sign when he’ll ditch going out with the boys to see you instead.
- Acts of selflessness. He’ll take one for the team of you and him. These can be large or small acts. They can be as small as holding your hair back for when you’ve got stomach flu, or as large as suffering through a Celine Dion concert and pretend he’s enjoying it because you’re a fan. Now that’s the power of love.
Okay, he’s doing his part, but what about you? You’ve got him wrapped around your little finger, but don’t get cocky. You can lose him in the blink of an eye with a few classic screw-ups.
- Insincerity. I understand that we all want to impress a potential new partner. It’s in our DNA. Only the fittest survive and only the most interesting get dates. So make yourself interesting, but please don’t pretend to be someone you’re not. Don’t say you were a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader if you weren’t. Don’t tell him you’re a party girl when you’re a bookworm. This is a double whammy. First, he’ll be PO’d because he believed your character enhancements. Second, you’re not the person he’s looking for. If he wants the party girl and you’re a bookworm, how long do you think that’s going to last? Keep it real, ladies.
- You get jealous for no reason. Okay, your previous guy cheated on you. That’s a shame, but not all guys are wired the same. So, if your current guy hasn’t done anything wrong, then give him the benefit of the doubt. Not even the Dalai Lama is going to put up with being accused of cheating or having you check up on him every five minutes.
- The Princess Complex. You’ve got a nice little thing going on with him, but suddenly it’s all about you and not about the two of you. Who died and made you queen?
- Letting yourself go. You were a dynamite package when you two starting dating, but the backless cocktail dresses and Jimmy Choos have been replaced by moo-moos and flip-flops. Just because you’ve hooked your dream guy doesn’t mean you can take your foot off the gas. If you don’t care about your appearance, don’t expect him to.
- Taking it too fast. It’s easy to get carried away with that guy in your life. You want to be with him every minute of the day, you think you should move in together and a summer wedding would be wonderful. That’s all super — as long as he’s just as keen. If he sees you streaking ahead of him, he’ll be making a U-turn, so watch your speed, Danica.