Healthy Banana Bran Pancakes
Mardi Gras is just around the corner. For some that might mean a lot of scary pink cocktails and a bit of samba–for me it means pancakes! And I’m not alone. There are many spots on the globe that top off carnival with pancakes, in fact, Mardi Gras is also known as Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, and Pancake Tuesday.
To celebrate Pancake Tuesday last year I posted a recipe for healthy pancakes that uses white whole wheat flour. They are pretty traditional, and very yummy. This year it’s banana bran pancakes–partially because I really like saying “banana bran pancakes,” but mostly because they are really healthy and exceedingly scrumptious. Happy Banana Bran Pancake Tuesday!
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup walnuts
1 organic egg
1 cup low-fat milk
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients
2. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, syrup and oil.
3. Gently add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Don’t mix too much, leave some lumps. Fold in the bananas and walnuts.
4. Place a large pan or griddle on medium heat and grease with butter, oil or cooking spray.
5. Pour batter onto heated surface and cook until bubbles appear in pancakes, flip, cook other side.