BLACK BEAN PINWHEEL RECIPE:
- Soft flat bread: like Lavash/middle eastern flat bread or extra large tortillas/chapatti
- 1 can organic refried black beans
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp garlic salt
- 1 container vegan cream cheese: like Tofutti or Follow Your Heart (you can also substitute with regular organic cream cheese)
- 4 roasted bell peppers (from a jar): cut into slivers
- Julienned vegetables: carrots, cucumbers, jicama or daikon root
- Lettuce greens
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 container of broccoli sprouts or alfalfa sprouts
1. Arrange all the ingredients in an assembly style station.
2. Spread cream cheese over ¼ bottom half of flatbread.
3. Spread refried black beans above the cream cheese.
4. Follow with the roasted bell peppers and then veggies, each in succession.
5. On the last row layer a handful of lettuce greens.
6. Sprinkle 1 tsp. cilantro on top of the black beans.
7. Layer a large pinch of sprouts onto the cream cheese.
8. Starting at the bottom roll upwards into a tight roll.
9. When you reach the end, spread a small amount of cream cheese along the top end to help seal the roll.
10. Complete the rolling.
11. Slice into desired wheel widths.
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 8 cups organic oats
- 4 cups organic puffed brown rice
- 1 cup chopped nuts like walnuts, almonds, pecans (you can add more nuts for more protein if you wish)
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ½ cup organic canola oil or olive oil
- 1 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (adds sweetness without sugar)
- ½ cup dried unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup shelled sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine 8 cups oatmeal with 4 cups puffed whole grain rice.
3. Add 1 cup chopped nuts.
4. Stir in 1/4 cup organic flax.
5. Add 1/2 cup organic canola oil or olive oil.
6. Add 1 cup maple syrup or honey.
7. Add 1 teaspoon real vanilla, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and 2 cups dried coconut.
8. Mix well.
9. Place parchment paper on 3 to 4 cookie sheets.
10. Spread out granola mixture evenly.
11. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and stir.
13. Repeat steps 11 and 12 about three times, until the granola is lightly browned.
13. Add dried fruit or seeds of your choice.