We recently caught up with Dr. Ro, a nutritionist, bestselling author and Parent Earth expert. She shares some simple tips to help us make better food choices. A recent study from Cornell University suggests we make about 250 food decisions every day. Dr. Ro stresses the importance of planning a well-balanced meal that takes into account portion control and consuming more fresh fruits and vegetables.
Dr. Ro’s advice:
- Design your plate to have at least three quarters of vegetables, fruit and grains.
- Include a small serving of lean protein (fish, meat or chicken)
- Switch to whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat breads, whole wheat pasta)
- Try new grains such as barley, oat or quinoa.
- Teach your children healthy eating habits from an early age.