Notice! Care2 will go offline for site maintenance July 28 at 9pm PST. Thanks
START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

Got Heavy Metals in Your Soil?

  • 2 of 3

High concentrations of contaminants are usually due to gasoline auto emissions and lead-based paints from walls and windows that may have chipped over time and mixed with the surrounding soil. “Lead is a chemical element, so it can’t break down any further than it already is,” explains Extension Associate Hannah Shayler of the Cornell Waste Management Institute. Lead dust can also float through the air and land on people, plants, animals and water sources and is dangerous if inhaled or ingested.

Another source of contamination comes from the remnants of old pesticides that were made with lead arsenate. “Syracuse, for example, used to be apple orchards and up until the 1940′s or so, they used to spray those orchards with lead arsenate pesticides. Therefore there’s high levels of lead in many areas of Syracuse,” says Venera Jouraeva, a visiting Assistant Professor at the State University of New York Oswego.

Lead in Garden Plants

Luckily, most vegetable and fruit crops don’t absorb high levels of lead into themselves even if planted in areas with lead contamination. “Each plant has various degrees of absorbance,” says Jouraeva. “But lead is usually not transmitted through shoots.” The most danger with regard to lead poisoning comes instead through direct ingestion of contaminated soil. This usually happens when children play in toxic soil and get it into their mouths or when people eat contaminated soil found on the exterior of unwashed produce.

If children aren’t a concern and you are vigilant about washing home grown produce, it is generally considered safe to do your gardening in soils that have a total lead level of less than 300 ppm, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. If, however, you have children playing in or near your garden, then the possibility of hand to mouth activity heightens the chances of lead ingestion. Children are also more vulnerable to lead poisoning because their nervous systems are not yet fully developed and their bodies offer higher absorption from the gastrointestinal tract than in adults. Therefore, if children play on or near your property, it’s safest if you only do your gardening in land that tests out at lead levels of less than 100 ppm.

As long as your soil’s lead level meets the requirements as explained above, then all you have to do is simply wash away the unsafe dirt on the outside of crops like corn, beans, squash, tomatoes, strawberries and apples. You have to be a bit more careful with leafy vegetables and root crops that have the potential to absorb more toxins from contaminated soil. In these cases, you will need to remove the outer leaves of plants like lettuce or peel off the outer layer of vegetables like potatoes and carrots. In all cases, you should carefully wash any produce that may have been exposed to lead with water and vinegar or soap.

  • 2 of 3

Read more: Conservation, Health & Safety, Home, Household Hints, Lawns & Gardens, Nature, , , , , , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Selections from Networx

Networx.com empowers people to make educated, economical and Earth-friendly renovation and home repair choices. We are a community of homeowners, renters and contractors who are committed to sharing home improvement expertise and experience.

35 comments

+ add your own
1:22AM PDT on Mar 23, 2012

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF THEM! I WANT TO START A GARDEN THIS SUMMER. I WILL DO MY RESEARCH. THANKS SO MUCH FOR INFORMATION.

5:01PM PDT on Mar 22, 2011

Grow almost anything indoors.
How to Grow Tomatoes And Peppers Under Indoor Lamps

9:10AM PDT on Oct 23, 2010

anyway to remove the containments from the soil?

9:47PM PDT on Oct 1, 2010

Thank You. Thanks for the tip: Washing produce with vinegar and water or soap will take the lead off, and possibly the other metals. Wash the produce, do not leave the dirt on, when delling with heavy metal contaminated soil.

9:06AM PDT on Sep 27, 2010

Very interesting! Thanks for the post!

3:24AM PDT on Sep 23, 2010

Very important article . I learned alot.

8:47AM PDT on Sep 21, 2010

Thanks for reading the article that I posted from Networx. Alexandra- according to the author of the article, heavy metals do get absorbed into more watery plants, like lettuce. You can mitigate the risk by peeling vegetables that have thicker skins. Thanks for reading!

7:26PM PDT on Sep 18, 2010

Buen comentario.

5:08PM PDT on Sep 16, 2010

My father died of heavy metals poisoning thirty years ago......

10:32AM PDT on Sep 16, 2010

I had never given this a thought..but my house has been here for over 100 years so I should be ok. The thing I won;t do is use the compost from our local compost area. The grass clippings that have been treated with poison sprays..are just covered with dirt and the following year it is nice looking compost..but it still contains the poisons from all the sprays.

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

Woman do not need this stuff for their faces. They are beautiful without it.

great article :):) thank you

If I was having the President over, I would probably shell out and buy some decent wine, even to coo…

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.