Help Homeless Animals: Adopt the Internet Day
By Lisa Spector, Canine Music Expert, Juilliard Graduate, and co-creator of Through a Dog’s Ear.
I often hear from people who volunteer and work endlessly to help homeless animals. Their stories often arrive in my inbox, and I always wish I could do more. When I was between dogs, I volunteered to walk the dogs at the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA. Later, when I adopted a dog and provided a forever home for him, I volunteered in the education department, going to schools with my dog and educating students in how to appropriately greet dogs along with the benefits of spaying and neutering. These days, I donate music to shelters and rescue organizations. (Click here to receive your free download from our latest release, Music to Calm your Canine Companion, Vol. 3. Simply enter your email address and a link to the free download will be delivered to your inbox.) The clinically tested music calms the dogs, creates a much quieter atmosphere so visitors are encouraged to stay longer, and it consequently increases adoption rates. And still, I wish I could do more.
- On March 15, write about or share a pet from Petfinder’s gallery or any other adoptable pet on Petfinder. With over 320,000 pets on Petfinder waiting for their forever homes, Care2 is a large enough community with a big enough heart, that we alone could help find homes for every one of them.
- Donate your Facebook status and photo to an adoptable Petfinder pet on March 15.
- On March 15, Tweet an adoptable pet with the hashtag #adopttheinternet.
- Add a badge to your blog or Web site to show your support. (Get a badge here.)
- Take a pledge that, on March 15, you will tell one person about pet adoption.
- Write a caption for an adoptable-pet photo on ICanHasCheezburger. The photos with the best captions will be featured on the ICanHasCheezburger.com homepage on March 15.
- Share a heart-warming story in a comment below about a homeless pet that you helped place in a forever home, either yours are someone you know.