The Human Resources department of a large managed care company wants to hire me to train their doctors how to practice the kind of Pink Medicine I spoke about in my TEDx talk, which I’m also writing about in my upcoming book Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof You Can Heal Yourself. It’s long been a dream of mine that, after leaving the conventional health care system, healing myself, and learning how I believe health care can be practiced, I would one day enter back into the system to teach the doctors, who are like I was six years ago, doing the best they can but failing to optimize their healing superpowers.
It’s the ultimate hero’s journey to leave your reality, venture into the unknown, slay your dragons, heal yourself, garner pearls of wisdom, and bring back the gifts of the journey to those you left back home.
The doctors are my home. I had to leave in order to heal, but I am ready to go back and make my mark.
Suddenly, I have my chance.
The invitation launched me into something I’ve been meaning to do for months – writing a training manual for doctors which outlines what I will teach, not just to this managed care organization, but to many more as word spreads.
The 9 radical truths I plan to teach doctors include:
- The mind can cure the body, and as doctors, we should encourage self-healing.
- If we’re not mindful, doctors can hex, as well as heal.
- The loving support and attentive presence of a physician are vital to the self-healing process.
- No disease is incurable, but some cures only come from within or through Divine intervention.
- We must expand how we define health and healing to include all the facets of what makes us whole using the Whole Health Cairn model (Learn more about the Whole Health Cairn here.)
- As doctors, we must order laboratory tests and seek biochemical diagnoses, but we must also encourage the patient to identify any emotional/ psychological/ spiritual factors that may be contributing to the disease process.
- Patients know their bodies better than doctors do. To optimize health, doctors can educate, illuminate, and offer treatment recommendations, but patients must write The Prescription for themselves.
- There’s a difference between healing and curing and as doctors, we have the power to facilitate both.
- While patients are responsible to their illness, their illness is not necessarily their “fault.” Some patients may do everything “right” and still be sick if it’s part of the Master Plan.
Each truth makes up a whole chapter in my book, so I have much to say about each one, but spelling out what each truth means is not the point of this blog post. Getting your help is!
Help Me Train Doctors
This is your chance to get your voice heard. As I write this training manual for conventional doctors, I’d love to get your feedback. What do you wish you could tell your doctor but you’re too afraid to say it out loud? What message would you love to have another doctor deliver colleague-to-colleague? What piece of wisdom can you share about how you’ve developed a healing relationship with your physician?
How might we help patients feel more heard, respected, empowered, and loved?
Please be gentle. Remember, most of these doctors are doing the very best they can, but they’re so wounded and depleted by a system that leaves little room for self care and many are as in need of healing as their patients.
Also remember that these doctors are limited to 15 minute slots with their patients. I won’t be able to grant them more time, but I can help teach them how to better serve you within that limitation.
Please speak your genuine, unapologetic truth with compassion for those who are trying to serve you. I promise I’ll pass along your feedback.
Either leave a comment here or join the rousing conversation on my Facebook page.
With love, gratitude, and a vision of my profession healed,
Lissa Rankin, MD: Founder of OwningPink.com, Pink Medicine Revolutionary, motivational speaker, and author of What’s Up Down There? Questions You’d Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend and Encaustic Art: The Complete Guide To Creating Fine Art With Wax.
Learn more about Lissa Rankin here.