We donít have to think about it for a cut to heal, or for our dinner to digest: Our bodies are busy every moment taking care of us and are filled with vital healing energy. But sometimes, when we get thrown out of whack, we need to give the natural healing power of our bodies a little boost.
Doctors are now beginning to realize that there is a powerful mind-body connection. Patients who use affirmations, creative visualization, or positive, relaxing audiotapes, for example, often recover faster from surgery. But any of us can use the power of visualization to improve our health and speed healing. Find out how here:
1. Get into a relaxed state.
2. Visualize your illness in whatever form appropriate to you. If necessary, view it on a TV screen. Try to visualize it with all of your senses.
3. Picture the cure taking place as vividly as you can. Do not be afraid of making it bizarre. Incorporate into the image both the bodyís own healing mechanisms (e.g., white blood cells) and the medication you may be receiving from the doctor.
4. Clear away all debris and unwanted waste. Picture the site being cleared and left free from illness.
5. Picture yourself being free of the illness and carrying on a normal, active life; also see yourself happy and healthy.
6. Congratulate or thank yourself (i.e., your subconscious) for aiding in the cure.
7. Come back to ordinary reality.