This is an excellent Valentine’s Day dinner side dish. Heck, it’s so easy, you don’t need a holiday to enjoy these braised potatoes at all — a busy weeknight will do just fine!
- 1 Cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic, halved
- 1 Strip lemon zest
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Sprigs thyme (you can substitute rosemary or a few sage leaves)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 Baby, fingerling or new potatoes, scrubbed and/or peeled and halved
1. In a lidded medium saucepan, bring broth, 1/2 cup water, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, bay leaf and thyme to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Once it’s boiling, cover and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, cover again, and continue simmering for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a knife.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a warm bowl and cover. Turn the heat of saucepan to medium-high and cook until the broth has reduced a little. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer potatoes to bowl and pour a little broth over them.
Recipe Adapted From: Dorie Greenspan.