So, as the commercial encourages you to “get the facts,” I felt obliged to offer up a crib sheet for those of us adverse to consuming high-fructose corn syrup, but unable to deliver a snappy rationale when pressed. Feel free to print this out and carry it around in your wallet, purse, or along with your medic-alert bracelet.
Facts: High-fructose corn syrup is a sweetener produced by processing cornstarch to yield glucose, and then processing the glucose to produce a high percentage of fructose. It is primarily used as a preservative and sweetener in a multitude of food products. You should avoid it because of the following:
1. High-fructose corn syrup has been linked directly to obesity, diabetes and metabolic dysfunction.
2. High-fructose corn syrup elevates triglycerides levels, which can lead to heart disease.
3. High-fructose corn syrup is simply empty calories with no nutritional value whatsoever.
4. The environmental footprint of high-fructose corn syrup is exceedingly large.
5. High-fructose corn syrup is the hellion child of the corn lobby’s satanic forces.
OK, so the fifth one might not be totally accurate, but it does drive the point home. And for extra credit you could mention that consuming high-fructose corn syrup in moderation is becoming near impossible, seeing as nearly everything from sliced bread to salad dressing now proudly contains the ubiquitous ingredient.
I encourage everyone to get the facts, stay vigilant, and don’t hang out with people (or lobbyists) willing to bully you into eating highly processed sweeteners.