START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

High-Powered Magnets Deadly to Children

High-powered magnets — the kind you might have sitting on your desk right now — may pose a serious risk to the children in your life.

With an increasing number of incident reports to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the agency has issued a warning that high-powered magnets are a safety risk for children.

The type of magnets in question are the high-powered ball-bearing magnets that are marketed to adults as stress relievers or desk toys. Generally sold in sets of 200 or more magnets, adults use them to create and build shapes for display.

Toddlers may find loose pieces of magnets or magnets left within reach. Older children and teens may use the magnets to mimic body piercings, placing two or more magnets on opposite sides of their ear lobes, tongue, and nose, sometimes resulting in accidental inhalation or swallowing.

If two or more magnets are swallowed, they can attract each other internally, causing injuries like blood poisoning, intestinal blockage, holes in the stomach or intestines, and even death. When a magnet must be removed through surgery, damage to stomach or intestines must also be repaired.

In recent years, children from 18 months to 15 years old have been reported as needing medical care after swallowing the magnets, some requiring surgical removal.

“We want parents to be aware of the danger associated with these innocent looking magnets,” CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum said in a press release. “The potential for serious injury and death if multiple magnets are swallowed demands that parents and medical professionals be aware of this hidden hazard and know how to treat a child in distress.”

These magnets are already prohibited in toys for children younger than 14.

The CPSC offers a few tips on avoiding magnet ingestion and what to do if you suspect that your child has swallowed magnets:

  • Keep small magnets away from young children who might swallow them.
  • Look out for loose magnet pieces — and regularly inspect toys and children’s play areas for missing or dislodged magnets.
  • If you suspect that magnets have been swallowed, seek medical attention immediately.
  • Look for abdominal symptoms, such as abdominal pains, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Note that in x-rays multiple magnetic pieces may appear as a single object.

Reports about magnet incidents can be made at SaferProducts.gov.

Author’s Note: After publication of this article I was contacted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission and asked to share this important video. The brief video speaks volumes — please help spread the word about this easily overlooked safety hazard. Thank you.

Image credit: istockphoto.com

 

Read more: Babies, Children, Family, General Health, Health, Health & Safety, Home, News & Issues, Teens, ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Ann Pietrangelo

Ann Pietrangelo is the author of No More Secs! Living, Laughing & Loving Despite Multiple Sclerosis and Catch That Look: Living, Laughing & Loving Despite Triple-Negative Breast Cancer. She is a freelance writer and member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors. Follow on Twitter @AnnPietrangelo

56 comments

+ add your own
4:07PM PDT on Jul 29, 2012

Thank you so much for these articles on magnets. Information passed on is what we all need to live healthier and better informed lives. These on magnets are great for young mothers everywhere so they understand the danger here.

6:49PM PDT on May 16, 2012

I've heard of this happening to dogs, too.

2:34AM PST on Nov 20, 2011

Great post

10:02PM PST on Nov 19, 2011

It isn't just ball-bearing magnets but any magnet that is a RARE-EARTH MAGNET.

Though magnets do occur in nature, most magnets are created by magnetizing metals. And rare-earth magnets are a relatively new phenomena, developed in the 70s and 80s as science has found ways to create new alloys with stronger magnetic properties. You'll know when you have one because they are noticeably stronger than the magnets we normally have around.

Swallowing one is generally not a problem. Though rare-earth magnets corrode easily, they generally are plated in order to avoid corrosion and will pass through the system before any outer coating is broken down, not too different from swallowing any other metal item.

The problems occur when two or more magnets are swallowed, or even if one magnet and another metal object are swallowed. If they just clung to each other with nothing in between, there wouldn't be a problem. But what happens is that they travel through the bowels at different speeds, so when they do snap together, they do so with intestinal wall in between. This is when you need the x-ray and surgery in order to avoid fatal consequences.

So if you do have children (or pets) in that phase where they put everything into their mouths, tuck the rare-earth magnets away until they get older.

2:43PM PST on Nov 19, 2011

Wow! I had no idea!

8:01AM PST on Nov 18, 2011

Never heard or seen them.

8:08PM PST on Nov 17, 2011

I don't see anything misleading about the title. These are deadly and more kids swallow them than you think. It's worth a child's life to be safer about this product. The video is nice and clear too.

6:54AM PST on Nov 17, 2011

Thanks Ann!~

11:27PM PST on Nov 16, 2011

misleading title

10:09PM PST on Nov 16, 2011

I expected the article to reveal something about magnetic fields. Paper clips also sit on desks and could therefore be headlined as deadly...

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

I buy organic. But I no longer trust the USDA (former Monsanto personnel are in charge) so the certi…

I will start off by saying: I am not a troll as I have been and will be accused of being just becaus…

I'm actually allergic to salicylic acid so this is helpful to know.

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.