Homemade Chai Concentrate
I love drinking chai, hot or iced, but I donít love paying $4 for it at a coffee shop. Now I make my own concentrate. You neednít shell out for expensive tea Ė I buy large boxes of organic black tea on the cheap at a certain large natural foods store.
This recipe is pretty mild. Feel free to up the spices and add a few black peppercorns if you like your chai extra spicy.
Yield :†6 C. Servings :†12 servings (with added non-dairy milk) Prep Time :†5m Cook Time :†15m Ready In :†25m
- 6 C. water
- 2/3 C. sugar (or more/less, to taste)
- 20 cardamom pods, cracked
- 15 cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 8 black tea bags
- Combine water, sugar, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and ginger in large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tea bags and turn off heat. Allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain mixture. To serve, combine one part concentrate with one part non-dairy milk. Serve hot or chilled.
- Store concentrate in the fridge. It will keep for about one week.
See also: Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe