I’ll admit that I didn’t make this for myself. I’m not a big spicy food person! I did make this homemade sriracha sauce as a birthday gift for a friend who is totally obsessed with the store-bought version. She gave me rave reviews – so much fresher!
- 1 lb coarsely chopped red fresno chiles
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup palm sugar
The night before: place chiles, garlic, salt & white vinegar in a jar to mellow the pepper’s heat.
1. In a small saucepan over high heat, bring mixture and sugar to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let cool.
2. Once mixture is at room temperature, blend in blender for 5 minutes, or until smooth and a red-orange color. Run it through a strainer. Make sure as much “juice” is out of the mixture as possible.
3. Refrigerate before using. Makes about 3 cups.
Adapted from Food52.