by Cris Carl, Networx
Manufacturers are embracing a trend towards the production of green products. As a result, it is now easy to move in the direction of “greening” in your home office. While sometimes choices can be far more overwhelming than “paper or plastic,” many businesses and websites are working to educate as well as sell their environmentally friendly products now.
Here are a few things to consider when making your home office greener:
- Energy use: Turning your electronics off with a power strip and using energy-saving bulbs are two examples.
- Green office supplies: There are plenty to choose from now. See below for more info.
- Recycling bins: Keep them handy and obvious so you’ll use them.
- E-waste disposal: Nearly everything in your home office will end up in a landfill one day. How are you disposing of your materials (i.e. batteries, computers, toner cartridges, etc.)? Many communities either offer recycling of these types of items at the local transfer station. Also, specialized companies often advertise in the local paper for “drop-off days” for used electronics for a small fee.
- Lowering your carbon footprint: Keep a list and try to purchase what you need in one trip, or order online to reduce vehicle use.