How Much Does A Great Life Cost?
One of the most thought provoking pieces of advice I received came in the form of this question: “How much money do you really need to live a great life?”
The answer? Ultimately, it’s not about the money!
Many people have trouble understanding this and are consumed by making money to improve their standard of living, often feeling that money solves their problems. Of course money helps if you have bills to pay but it won’t necessarily make you happy. While financial worries can cause numerous problems, money isn’t the answer to living a successful life.
Consider this. I have seen orphans in Southeast Asia with nothing but their happiness to hold onto. Despite having no money, they were not concerned about material wealth and everywhere I looked I saw happy smiling faces.
Once our basic needs are met, what’s next? Does a pop star in LA really need a $7000 pair of denim jeans with gold stitching or could that pay for clean water in a village? It feels much better to know you have helped someone else less fortunate than yourself.
Here are ten simple points that I use as a guide to remind me that often its simple actions that can make the difference:
- Endeavour to create win-win situations, if all parties are happy then there will be no animosity going forward.
- Don’t be consumed by greed or material wealth or a win-at-all costs attitude.
- Build a TEAM. You cannot do it alone, no matter how good you think you are. Together Everyone Achieves More.
- Be thankful for what you have every day and appreciate the things people do for you. In times of need it will be those people that will support you.
- You don’t have to have ‘made it’ to do a good deed or support a charity….Continue reading at InspireMeToday.com.
Andrew Steel is a social entrepreneur working in the renewable energy and forestry sectors.