How Much Lead is in My Lipstick?
Is there lead in your lipstick? The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) released an analysis of the lead content in 400 lip products and the answer is a resounding yes. But does that mean we should throw out all of our tubes? Well, that’s a little more complicated.
While only two lipsticks tested contained more lead than California’s recommended limit of 5 parts-per-million and none exceed Canada’s recommendation of 10 parts-per-million, there is certainly still cause for concern. According to the Campaign For Safe Cosmetics,
“Many experts agree that there is no safe blood level of lead for children and pregnant women. Lead is a proven neurotoxin that can cause learning, language and behavioral problems such as lowered IQ, reduced school performance and increased aggression. Pregnant women are particularly vulnerable to lead exposure, because lead easily crosses the placenta and enters the fetal brain where it can interfere with normal development.”
While health experts, including an advisory committee to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, agree that lead exposure is a serious problem, the FDA does not believe lipsticks are unsafe. The Campaign For Safe Cosmetics has cried foul to this statement, pointing out that “[the FDA] conducted a formal safety assessment of lead in lipstick” and thus can’t really safe for sure if they are safe or not.
Currently, the FDA does not regulate the the amount of lead in cosmetics. They are, however, considering implementing regulations.
So what lipsticks have the least and most amount of lead? The results aren’t divided along price or supposed “quality” lines. Interestingly, the cheapest lipstick the FDA analyzed had the lowest amount of lead.
Below are the 10 lipsticks with least amount of lead and the 10 lipsticks with the most. If you don’t see your brand, click here for the full list 0f 400.
Lipsticks with the Least Lead
1.Wet’n’ Wild Mega Mixers Lipbalm in Bahama Mama 0.026
2. L’Oréal Colour Juice in Cherry On Top 0.026
3. Clinique Almost in Black Honey 0.026
4. Lori Anne Mood in Blue 0.03
5. M.A.C. Satin in M.A.C. Red 0.03
6. Estée Lauder Pure Color in Pink Parfait 0.04
7. Lori Anne Mood in Yellow 0.05
8. M.A.C. Matte in Lady Danger 0.05
9. Iman Cosmetics Luxury Moisturizing in Image Red 0.05
10. Fashion Fair Lipstick in Earth Red 0.05
Lipsticks with the Most Lead
1. Maybelline Color Sensational in Pink Petal 7.19
2. L’Oréal Colour Riche in Volcanic 7.00
3. NARS Semi-Matte in Red Lizard 4.93
4. Cover Girl Queen Collection Vibrant Hues Color in Ruby Remix 4.92
5. NARS Semi-Matte in Funny Face 4.89
6. L’Oréal Colour Riche in Tickled Pink 4.45
7. L’Oréal Intensely Moisturizing Lipcolor in Heroic 4.41
8. Cover Girl Continuous Color in Warm Brick 4.28
9. Maybelline Color Sensational in Mauve Me 4.23
10. Stargazer Lipstick in C 4.12