Dealing with Post-Work Stress: 8 Easy Tips
Stress during office hours is common. But what if your nerves continue to feel frayed long after you have left your desk? Post-work stress is less talked about, but it exists, since we unfortunately aren’t equipped with an “off” button to switch off our tensions.
If you have been feeling the pressure of workload as well as the upcoming holiday stress, you deserve to unwind at least during the late evening hours, right up to the time you get into bed.
Here are simple ideas to help you take it easy:
- Don’t get into “cook dinner” mode as soon as you kick off your shoes. Take a few minutes to change your clothes and put up your feet.
- Drink tea. Green tea in particular has a wonderfully relaxing effect. But if coffee works better for you, go ahead and brew up some.
- Connect with nature for a few minutes. If you’re lucky enough to have a patio or balcony, step out and spend some time there, sipping your tea or coffee. Or, take a short stroll. Even 10 minutes of walking outdoors lavishes you with fresh air and dissolves stress.
- Lavender, ylang ylang and bergamot are among the most relaxing essential oils. Let their healing qualities soothe your stress away. Just pour a couple of drops on a tissue and inhale. An oil diffuser is a great idea, too.
- Say no to a social obligation if you don’t have the energy for it. Of course there are errands and duties one cannot avoid, but try and take on only as much extra load only if you are up to it.
- Watch a comedy show or listen to your favorite relaxing music. Laughter really is the best medicine, and music heals deep within.
- Bake something. Dish up a quick apple crumble, or bake a batch of cookies with the kids.
- Which brings me to kids: spend some extra time with them. Their innocence and energy combines to make you feel that life is beautiful, and all’s well with the world.
Do you have anything to add to the list? Have a happy and stress-free evening!
8 Fun Ways to Manage Stress