How To Find Your Calling
What are you here on this earth to do?
How will the world be better because you were in it?
What legacy do you hope to leave behind?
What are you called to do with this one wild and precious life?
If you don’t know the answer to these questions and you’re searching for your calling, I have excellent news! Danielle LaPorte’s new book The Fire Starter Sessions launches today and it’s chock full of soulful, heart-opening, mind-blowing guidance to lead you like a heat-seeking missile straight towards the fire in your belly and the light in your spirit.
When I first read a version of this book a year ago, a few questions Danielle asks lit massive bonfires under me and crystallized the vision of my calling. The question that affected me most was this:
As in how do you want to feel when you wake up in the morning? How do you want to feel when you look at your calendar to see what the day holds? How do you want to feel when you answer the phone, come on stage to receive the award, get the big news, complete the manuscript, get the promotion, fall in love…?
Name three ways you want to feel. Get specific. Go deeper. Write them down. Paste them to your computer or fridge or mirror.
Danielle writes, “Knowing how you actually want to feel is the most potent form of clarity that you can have. Generating those feelings is the most creative thing you can do with your life… First get clear on how you want to feel. Then do stuff that makes you feel that way… Knowing how you want to feel is half the journey to liberation… Be done with feeling guilty for wanting to feel the way you want to feel.”
When I got clear on how I wanted to feel, I realized that I can feel that way right here, right now.
So what about you? How do you want to feel? What can you do – starting now – to generate those feelings? When you’re honest about the answer to this question, you’re three steps closer to knowing your calling.
More Burning Questions
But wait! There’s more juicy goodness to help you craft a career path that lights your fire. Just to give you a teaser, go somewhere quiet, take your time, and try on these “burning questions” from The Fire Starter Sessions.
- When someone at a party asks you what you do, what do you say? And how do you feel when you say it?
- What do people thank you for most often? What do they come to you for, or say about you, most frequently (positive or negative)?
- When do you feel powerful, passionate, free, incredibly useful, excited and inspired?
- What do you think your form of genius is? What are you amazing at (work or life related)?
- Who do you think is really cool or elegant or powerful?
- What’s chronic, repetitive, or inflamed in your inner or outer life?
- What’s always in the back of your mind?
- What would you like to stop doing?
- How much money would you like to be making?
- How would you like to be seen, recognized, acknowledged, awarded, praised?
- So… what would you like to do with your life and career? (Money is no object. Dream.)
Soak them in. Roll around in them. Feel into them. And notice what comes up.
Want more fuel for your fire? Still unsure of what you’re called to do on this earth?
Listen to me interview Danielle LaPorte here. And don’t wait another moment to order three copies (one for you, one for your best friend, and one for that person who will come into your house one day and you’ll instantly know they’re supposed to be the recipient of Danielle’s wonderful book The Fire Starter Sessions.
Lit up with lighter fluid,
Lissa Rankin, MD: Founder of OwningPink.com, Pink Medicine Revolutionary, motivational speaker, and author of What’s Up Down There? Questions You’d Only Ask Your Gynecologist If She Was Your Best Friend and Encaustic Art: The Complete Guide To Creating Fine Art With Wax.
Learn more about Lissa Rankin here.