If you are unsure and would first like to taste the unique flavors of wild mushrooms, you might find them for sale at your farmers’ market, local mycological society, or even online. Although there are many ways to prepare them in recipes, here is a favorite I created to help get you started.
Wild Mushroom Lentil Salad
- ½ small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 4 small red onions, quartered lengthwise
- 1 clove elephant garlic, peeled, julienned
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup assorted dried or wild mushrooms
- 2 Tbs. butter plus 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup cooked French lentils
- 4 oz. organic goat’s feta cheese
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1. Place the butternut, onion, and garlic in a medium size bowl.
2. Drizzle with half the oil and a small amount of salt. Mix to coat well.
3. Spread on a well-oiled baking sheet and place in a pre-heated 400-degree oven.
4. Roast until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, in a skillet, sauté the mushrooms and elephant garlic in the butter plus oil for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
6. Prepare the Anchovy dressing (see below).
7. When squash is done, assemble on 4 plates: squash, onion, and French lentils.
8. Drizzle anchovy dressing over the vegetables, top with the mushrooms, then the feta cheese, and finally the walnuts.
9. Serve while squash is still warm.
Yields 4 servings
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 anchovies (more as needed)
Place ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Refrigerate when not using.