How to reduce dust mites:
• Reduce the humidity in your home below 64 percent relative humidity.
• Don’t make your bed in the morning, instead expose all blankets and sheets to allow for your bodies moisture to evaporate and thus prevent the dark, wet environment that mites love.
• At least once weekly, wash all bedding on a hot wash.
• Remove excessive pillows and stuffed animals from your bed.
• Place an additional pillowcase over your pillow and remove one mid week.
• Cover mattresses and pillows with micro-porous material to prevent infestation.
• Open a window after a shower or bath or while cooking (if possible) to let steam out.
• Use a vacuum cleaner with high filtration features and vacuum your mattress weekly for twenty minutes at a time.
• Use only natural cleaning products; they disclose all ingredients.
• Hang rugs or blankets outside as much as possible.
• Reduce clutter.
Next week: Indoor Allergins: Mold
Organic Spa Magazine is a national consumer lifestyle magazine about bringing spa wisdom into the modern green lifestyle. For a free digital subscription, click here.