START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

You can’t see it and you can’t smell it, but it can kill you. In sends more than 15,000 people to America’s emergency rooms every year and claims hundreds of lives. It could be in your home right now.

The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) reports that carbon monoxide poisoning incidents increase during the winter, when people use heating devices, stoves, and portable generators without proper ventilation. During a recent blizzard in Boston, a young boy tried to stay warm in a car, but the exhaust pipe was covered in snow, forcing carbon monoxide to enter the car.

“This colorless, odorless gas is deadly if you don’t take precautionary steps or notice the symptoms,” said Dr. Andrew Sama, president of the ACEP. “Thinking about it now and acting to prevent the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning may save your life and the lives of those around you.”

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • headache
  • dizziness
  • weakness
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • chest pain
  • confusion

Symptoms are similar to those of the flu, cautions Dr. Sama. “People should be concerned about the possible presence of carbon monoxide if more than one person living or working together develops these symptoms simultaneously over a short period of time.”

If you have symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately.

How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisining

  • Have gas appliances installed or maintained by a qualified professional.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home, especially near sleeping areas.
  • Never leave a motor running of a vehicle parked in an enclosed garage.
  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters indoors. Even if they don’t have flames, they burn case and release carbon monoxide in your homes, cabins or campers.
  • Never use a charcoal grill indoors.
  • Make sure all gas appliances (grills, camp stoves, power tools, generators, etc.) are properly vented so that carbon monoxide does not build in homes, cabins or campers.
  • Turn on the exhaust fan over your gas stove when using it.
  • Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Have your chimney checked and cleaned every year.
  • Make sure fireplace flues are open during use.

For more information on carbon monoxide poisoning, visit: www.EmergencyCareForYou.org.

Source: ACEP, the national medical specialty society representing emergency medicine.

Photo: BananaStock/Thinkstock

Related:
11 Hidden Household Dangers

Read more: Family, General Health, Health, Health & Safety, Home, News & Issues,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

42 comments

+ add your own
9:49AM PDT on Mar 14, 2013

very informative..thank you.

8:50AM PST on Mar 7, 2013

you can get carbon monoxide detectors easily and cheaply, they're usually near the fire alarms in shops

2:08PM PST on Mar 6, 2013

Very helpful.Thanks for sharing

8:57AM PST on Mar 6, 2013

Thanks - very helpful info.

7:45AM PST on Mar 6, 2013

You forgot to mention blurred vision.

6:44AM PST on Mar 6, 2013

All good to know. Thank you.

2:42AM PST on Mar 6, 2013

ty

1:48AM PST on Mar 6, 2013

Thanks for the info, my live is now more secure. :-))

1:30AM PST on Mar 6, 2013

Thanks

9:34PM PST on Mar 5, 2013

thanks

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

Thank you

Glenn looks like he's the happiest person on earth when he's dancing. So glad he decided to follow h…

The two worst comments I've had after a cat died were: "it was just a cat" and "would you like a kit…

I know that fried foods are generally not good. Eat raw as much as possible :)

CONTACT THE EDITORS



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.