Leek & Dill Soup (Recipe)
We’re kicking off leek season with this go-to classic with a great twist. Love leeks? Tune in for more great recipes in the next few weeks!
Leek-Potato Soup with Dill Oil
- 1 Small bunch fresh dill
- 9 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3.5 Pounds leeks, dark parts removed, roots trimmed off, washed well, and chopped in a food processor
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- Coarse Salt
- 2 Large thin-skinned potatoes, sliced thinly
- 3 Garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 6.5 Cups vegetable broth (plus more to taste)
- Toasted almonds, sliced
- Grated Gruyere (optional)
1. In a food processor, blend the dill and olive oil until green and creamy. Set aside.
2. Heat five tablespoons of dill oil and butter over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Stir in leeks and a few pinches of salt when the butter is fully melting and bubbling. Coat leeks well in butter-oil mixture. Cover pot. Cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leeks have softened and collapsed. Stir in potatoes and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes have softened completely, about 17 minutes. Mash potatoes with a large fork or a masher. Slowly stir in broth until soup has your desired consistency. Let soup come back to a simmer.
3. Serve hot with almonds, optional gruyere and a drizzle of the remaining dill oil.
Recipe Credit: 101 Cookbooks