Leeks are not commonly thought of as a raw vegetable, but as a cousin of onion, it certainly should be!
9. Mediterranean Leek Salad
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 3 Large leeks, white and pale green parts, cleaned and sliced thinly crosswise
- 2 Ripe tomatoes, cored, cut in half horizontally, seeds removed, and chopped
- 1 Cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4 Cup kalamata olives (optional)
- 1/2 Cup fresh parsley, chopped
1. In a medium bowl, whisk lemon and olive oil, along with salt and pepper to taste. Add leeks and toss to coat. Add tomato, cucumbers and optional olives and toss. Transfer to serving plates and garnish with parsley.
Recipe Credit: Mark Bittman,