Life Force Diet: Supercharge Your Digestion
Many people have told me that they can’t eat fruit. They blame carbs, difficulty digesting, bloating or flatulence as the reason. But most fruits are packed with phytonutrients and enzymes that help prevent disease, boost energy, and maintain great health.
If you’ve been avoiding fruit lately, I urge you to give it another try. You simply need to know a few fruit digestion basics and you’ll be maximizing the health benefits and minimizing the digestive troubles often associated with fruit.
• Eat fruit on an empty stomach at least half an hour before meals or one hour after meals (longer if the meal was heavy). I usually eat fruit first thing in the morning, get ready for my day, and then eat other foods for breakfast.
• It is fine to use small amounts of fruit on green salads or as part of a salad dressing.
• It’s fine to mix fruit and vegetables if you’re ingesting them in the form of juices because with the fiber removed they are both readily absorbed. Whenever you’re drinking juices fruit or vegetable or a combination of both it’s best to dilute them with equal parts of water to juice. One of my favorite juice combinations is carrot, apple, and ginger. I also love lemon, carrot, and apple juice. When I make green juices full of green veggies, I often add an apple to sweeten them slightly and make them more palatable.
• Chew fruit well. Fruit’s healthy and complete digestion depends partly on being chewed well, since chewing helps to break down the fiber, release the fruit’s own enzymes, and mix it with the body’s digestive juices. When all of these things happen, fruit will be almost completely digested in the upper chamber of the stomach within the first half hour of eating it. If you’re not chewing fruit well, you are missing an important stage of digestion that and will likely suffer indigestion, the problem is not usually the fruit but the lack of chewing.
• Use moderation when consuming fruit. Choose fruit over other types of sweets, but if you have a tendency to overeat sweets, do not replace one addiction with another.
Want to eat more fruit? Post your health intentand find community support and content to help you achieve it!
Michelle Schoffro Cook, DNM, DAc, CNC, is a six-time and best-selling book author whose works include: The Life Force Diet, The Ultimate pH Solution, and The 4-Week Ultimate Body Detox Plan. She is a doctor of natural medicine, holistic nutritionist, and holistic life coach. Visit www.TheLifeForceDiet.com to learn more.
Intent.com provides content and community for who you aspire to be–personally, socially and globally.