Luscious Carrot & Yam Coconut Soup with Potato and Cauliflower Mash
Luscious Carrot and Yam Coconut Soup
With an amazing texture, this soup makes you melt when you eat it – it’s that good! It’s great for people on non-dairy diets since coconut milk is used. The curry can be adjusted based on how hot or mild you like it.
½ lb. carrots, peeled and sliced in half moons
2 large yams, peeled and cut in chunks
4×13.6 oz. cans coconut milk
3 cups water or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon curry powder or paste
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss carrots and yams in olive oil and place in pan. Bake in oven about 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables become caramelized.
- Place vegetables in soup pot. Add broth to pot and cook on medium/low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and spices. Continue to simmer on low for another 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and puree until very smooth in a blender or use a hand blender.
Total cooking time: 45 minutes
Up Next – Potato and Cauliflower Mash
Potato and Cauliflower Mash
Mashed potatoes with a lift! Adding cauliflower brings lightness to the dish but the texture of mash potatoes tastes the same as the real thing!
1 lb. red potatoes, washed and cut in halves
1 lb. cauliflower, cleaned and cut in large chunks
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons Earth Balance, or butter of choice
1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon granulated onion
- Boil potatoes and cauliflower separately until quite soft. Drain and put in bowl. Mix with electric mixer or use potato masher by hand until well mashed.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until all is combined.
- Serve hot and plain or with your favorite gravy.
Total cooking time: 30 minutes