There’s almost always some pumpkin left over after you’ve made the pie. Here are some great ideas for keeping that mineral and vitamin-rich antioxidant goodness from going to waste.
Creamy texture, earthy taste, and good nutrition that you and your kids will love! Creative ways to use up that pumpkin:
1. Add 1/2 cup cooked or canned pumpkin to the cooking water for rice, millet, or quinoa.
2. Add some cooked or canned pumpkin to white sauces: they will turn a beautiful color.
3. The flavor and nutrition of soups, stews, broths, and pasta sauces will all benefit from adding 1/2 cup or more pumpkin.
4. Combine pumpkin with any or all of the following for a super sandwich spread or icing for muffins, toast, bread, cakes, or fruit breads. (Use more cream cheese to stiffen if you’re making icing rather than sandwich spread): cream cheese; maple syrup , honey or brown sugar; applesauce; allspice, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, ginger.
5. Pumpkin may also be mixed with any of the following to make great open-faced sandwiches: grated cheese; mashed cooked beans; chopped dried figs, raisins, cherries, or cranberries; chopped nuts; toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
By Cait Johnson, Assistant producer, Care2 Healthy Living Channels.