Top Foods for Dyeing Fabric
Pretty much any food that you worry about staining clothing while you cook is good for making natural fabric dye, but some definitely work better than others. Here are five foods that are excellent for dyeing your fabrics.
1. Plum skins – Plum dye will turn your fabric a hot pink! You can save the plum innards for making jam or just munch on them while you’re dyeing your fabric.
2. Turmeric – For a vibrant yellow, like in the photo at the top, choose turmeric. It works fast, so keep an eye on your fabric once you dip it!
3. Spinach or sorrel – Looking for a nice shade of green? These green and leafies will do the trick!
4. Beets – When I think of veggies that stain, beets are the first thing that come to mind. They’ll dye your fabric a nice reddish purple.
5. Coffee or tea – Cook up a strong pot of tea or coffee to stain fabrics in shades of brown.
You can also use your natural dyes with more advanced dye techniques like tie dye or batik! Just use your natural dye in place of synthetic dyes, and you’re good to go.
Have you guys made your own food-based natural fabric dye? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!