These delightful mouthwashes will help to eliminate bad breath and promote overall mouth and gum health.
LEMON SAGE BRANDY
This takes about 15 minutes to prepare, and two weeks to infuse. The infused brandy will keep indefinitely, in a glass jar with a screw top.
1 cup brandy infused with sage, thyme, and myrrh powder
1 cup distilled water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. To make the infusion, place 1 teaspoon each dried sage, thyme, and myrrh powder in one cup brandy. Cover tightly and let set for 2 weeks.
2. Strain, add the water, and shake to blend.
3. Pour a few tablespoons into a glass, and add the lemon juice. Swirl to blend, swish around the mouth, and spit.
Makes 2 cups.
BASIC ALCOHOL FREE HERBAL MOUTHWASH FORMULA
Make this strong antibacterial infusion using antiseptic plant materials such as cloves, rosemary, and myrrh to keep your breath fresh and your mouth healthy. Infuse the herbs overnight and itís ready to use by morning.
1 ounce cloves or powdered myrrh OR 2 to 4 ounces goldenseal or rosemary
2 cups boiling water
1. Place the plant materials in a pint mason jar and cover with the boiling water.
2. Let steep overnight, then strain.
3. Swish around in the mouth and then spit out.
Adapted from Better Basics for the Home by Annie Berthold-Bond (Three Rivers Press, 1999). Copyright (c) 1999 by Annie Berthold-Bond. Reprinted by permission of Three Rivers Press.
Adapted from Better Basics for the Home by Annie Berthold-Bond (Three Rivers Press, 1999).