How to Map Your Future
The key to a better life is setting a clear intention. Try this fun way to become clearer about your soulís true longings so you can manifest them in your life.
This exercise is not about creating a beautiful work of art, but about claiming the most positive aspects of your life and beginning to set your intention toward them. Anyone can do it!
You will need:
A large piece of paper or cardboard
Several magazines: try for an assortment: nature, art, and womenís magazines are all great sources of rich imagery and powerful words
Glue stick or paper cement
Markers, colored pencils, stickers, glitter
A tape or CD of soothing music
1. First, find some time and a space where you wonít be disturbed. Bring all of your materials to this space with you. Play some soothing music if you like.
2. Close your eyes and allow your feelings to speak to you. When you imagine yourself in a year, what would you like to feel like? What positive emotions would you like to hold? Imagine being surrounded by lovely colors, textures, scents, sights, and sounds. What are they? Imagine the qualities of living you would like to embrace. What would you like to be doing?
3. Now, in a relaxed and playful way, begin to choose pictures and words from the magazines that appeal to you. There does not have to be any rhyme or reason to your choices; if you like it, take it–just tear the pictures and words out of the magazines until you have a good-sized pile in front of you.
4. Look through your choices and begin to cut or tear out the words and images that really speak to you of your heartís longing. Arrange these on your cardboard or paper in any way that feels pleasing to you.
5. You may choose to add decorations of your own with the markers or stickers.
6. When you are finished, take a moment to appreciate the beauty of your soul-map. Place it where you will see it often and be reminded of your deepest intentions for living your life.
By Cait Johnson, author of Earth, Water, Fire, and Air, (SkyLight Paths, 2003).