The decision to label genetically engineered foods will be put into the hands of voters. This coordinated effort has brought millions of consumers together from around the world, but some are wondering why some of the largest businesses that support labeling remain on the sideline.
With Monsanto leading the funding for opposition with $4.2M already contributed, funding for support of Prop 37 is provided by consumer associations and organic companies. (20)
The biotech industry is definitely running scared; Monsanto is leading the charge contributing $4.2 billion, and you can bet more is on the way in an attempt to buy votes with propaganda against the initiative.
Please contribute to the Organic Consumers Fund to ensure that Americans will finally have the basic right to know what’s in their food.
I urge you to get involved and help in any way you can. Be assured that what happens in California will affect the remainder of the U.S. states, so please support this important state initiative, even if you do not live there!
- Join the CA RightToKnow campaign, and tell everyone you know in California to vote YES on Proposition 37.
- Whether you live in California or not, please donate money to this historic effort, either through the Organic Consumers Fund.
- Talk to organic producers and stores and ask them to actively support the California Ballot. It may be the only chance we have to label genetically engineered foods.
(1) US Veteran Dispatch November 1990
(2) Sierra Club October 1994
(3) Organic Consumers Association
(4) Source Watch Aspartame
(5) GreenAnswers.com June 14, 2012
(6) Juneau Empires June 29, 2012
(7) GMWatch.com August 17, 2012
(8) Whybiotech.com Biotech Basics Activity Book (PDF)
(9) Washington Post January 1, 2002 (archives)
(10) International Journal of Communication 4 (2010), 955976
(11) GM Watch August 5, 2012
(12) Sourcewatch.org Monsanto Notable Quotes
(13) Nature Biotechnology 21, 852 – 854 (2003)
(15) Wikipedia, Contents of the United States diplomatic cables leak
(17) See ref 15
(18) Union of Concerned Scientists
(19) Huffington Post August 14, 2012
(20) MapLight CA Prop. 37 – GMO Labeling: Funding Update August 16, 2012