Mercury Fillings and Your Health

Q: Do you think that having mercury fillings in our teeth is detrimental to your health?

A: For the adult person, the limited amount of mercury in a single mercury filling is unlikely to cause harm; however, the FDA does suggest that the levels of mercury found in amalgam fillings may be significant enough to pose harm to the developing nervous systems of children and fetuses.

Dr. Brent Ridge is the health expert for Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. You can call and ask him a question live every Tuesday at 2 p.m. Eastern on Sirius Satellite Radio, Channel 112 (1.866.675.6675). You can also follow along as he learns to grow his own food and raise goats on his farm in upstate New York by visiting

Got a health question for Dr. Brent? E-mail him at

Love This? Never Miss Another Story.


Cosmic Sky
Cosmic Price1 years ago


Tammy Andrews
Tammy Andrews2 years ago

If you have heart problems, extreme fatigue, vision issues and/or a bunch of other symptoms- and you are not sure of the cause - do you have "silver" fillings in your teeth? If so - this may be your problem! I suggest you find a holistic specialist to have them removed properly - this is key as the removal may actually cause more harm and get more of the bad mercury into your system! The ADA still does not want to admit that mercury leaching into your body from old silver fillings causes many severe health issues. In addition removing wisom teeth the "wrong way" can cause long term health problems related to compromising the immune system. If this is resonating with you - one place you can get more information is The Centers for Healing -Board Certified Dentists, Newbury Park CA 805-375-2233. Elvis's daughter -Lisa Marie is the first celebrity I know of that recently went public about her miraculous healing from a long time severe illness: after years of having access to the best health care services, and no one being able to help cure her, she finally learned about mercury poisoning and had all of her silver fillings removed- properly - by a holistic dentist in New Mexico. Now she’s cured! The article about her was published in Truly Alive Magazine in the Mar/Apr 2012 issue. The article lists contacts for more information: Pamela Costello MD 505-503-8325, or Dr Wolfe DDS 505-988-9868, I hope reading this information helps someo

Chad A.
Chad Anderson3 years ago

I have a dentist who recommends gold fillings so that they will not deteriorate and need to be replaced. Having gold in there instead of mercury is an added level of comfort.

J.L. A.
JL A.3 years ago

good reminder

Danuta Watola
Danuta Watola3 years ago

Very informative post.

New G.
New G.3 years ago

Thank you.

Joe R.
Joe R.3 years ago


Bruce S.
Bruce S.3 years ago

I guess it's too late for me. After a lifetime of getting amalgam fillings they now find a problem with them. I wish I still had those I could have them removed.

Lorene S.
Lorene S.3 years ago

When I got my severe neurological disorder, several of my doctors said they were surprised I was still alive after they looked in my mouth. Not only did I have very large mercury fillings years old, I have a gold crown with mercury under it and a nickel crown.
I was sent to a holistic dentist who measured 35 times the amount of mercury fumes coming off my teeth 24/7 that is advised top exposure by OSHA ( is OSHA even around anymore?)
But the REAL kicker was the electricity; I had 1/4 AMP of negative electricity coming off my teeth. I know I have a genetic predisposition to my disorder but I really think that the mercury kicked up the severity
I had them all removed by a bungler and have had teeth trouble all my life and now, I'm losing them.
Europe has nearly completely banned mercury as THEY have/had national health programs and KNOW this stuff sickens people. this is why we now have very cool mercury replacements and never need have that junk in our mouths again!
But in the US the ADA reigns supreme and, apparently, the only safe storage for mercury amalgam is in your FACE!

PS:When it's taken out, it goes into a Hazmat container. for the life of me, literally, I cannot figure why this stuff wasn't banned in the 90's....except for the money to be made and possible litigation and the fact that the Medical Industrial Complex is as vicious and uncaring of our health as the rest of our government is

Michele G.
Past Member 3 years ago