Mexican Chocolate Cake with Strawberries
Okay, I confess: I love chocolate. And although I donít eat cake very often, when I do I want it to be as moist and rich and chocolaty as this one, with its hint of cinnamon, served with luscious fresh strawberries rather than a calorie-laden frosting or glaze.
Just for fun, tuck a tropical flower behind your ear and whip up this fabulous confection for your Cinco de Mayo celebration! Here is the recipe:
Butter and cocoa powder to prepare baking pan
2 cups organic sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cocoa powder for top (optional)
2 cups thickly-sliced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 13x9x2-inch pan, then dust with cocoa powder (this makes a nicer-looking presentation than dusting with white flour).
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, whisk the buttermilk, butter, and cocoa until butter melts.
3. Pour butter mixture over flour mixture and whisk to combine. Add eggs and vanilla; whisk to blend. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely.
5. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Invert onto a plate, then invert again onto serving plate. Dust top with cocoa, if desired. Surround cake with fresh strawberries and serve.
By Cait Johnson, Assistant Producer, Care2 Healthy Living.