Mushroom-Freekeh Casserole (Recipe)
This is comfort food at its finest — and, perhaps, its healthiest. Keep warm this winter with a satisfying mushroom and freekeh casserole. Don’t have freekeh? Don’t worry! Try quinoa, brown rice or barley instead.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Pound brown mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- Fine grain sea salt
- 1 Large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Cups cooked freekeh
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1/4 Teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
- 1/3 Cup grated parmesan or pecorino romano
- Chopped fresh tarragon, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium baking dish with butter or olive oil.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and a pinch or two of salt. Saute until they’re slightly brown and have released their juices. Stir in onions and saute until translucent; add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in freekeh until mixture is combined. Remove from heat.
3. Add eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, mustard powder and about 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add freekeh-mushroom mixture to egg mixture, and stir to combine well. Transfer to greased baking dish. Add about 2/3 of the parmesan cheese to the top. Cover dish in foil. Bake for about 30 minutes, remove foil and continue baking for 20-30 minutes. The casserole is ready when it’s golden on the sides and hot. Garnish with remaining parmesan and chopped tarragon.
Recipe Adapted From: 101 Cookbooks.