Your parents were different before they were…well, parents. NPR recently ran an interesting story called, “My Parents Were Awesome,” highlighting a website that posted pictures of parents before they were parents. That’s it. The idea stuck in my head, but I didn’t get around to checking out the site until I overheard a bunch of college kids at a local coffee shop discussing how much they got a kick out of the website.
Let’s face it, parenthood is not that glamorous. Whether it’s because of their out-of-date clothing styles (remember those big round glasses and silly looking fanny packs), or because the younger generation is just always cooler, very rarely does a child admit proudly that their parents are cool. But parents had a life before they were parents. It’s easy to forget that the things that happened to them (us) before they had kids were also awesome. Being a parent, I know how easy it is to forget.
Were parents cooler than we thought? Blogger Eliot Glazer thinks so, and apparently lots of folks agree, because they are submitting thousands of pictures to his photojournal, My Parents Were Awesome to prove their awesomeness.
Here’s why this site makes me smile:
* It’s great news for parents. Sometimes parenting is a thankless job and the notice and notoriety is a nudge in the right direction.
* It highlights people who are choosing kind and caring ways to honor what is important to them.
* There’s not an ounce of snarkiness that you might see on other blogs on the My Parents Were Awesome site. It’s just an awesome bunch of pictures of parents before they were parents.
* With all the nasty news we are bombarded with on the home front daily, this sweet website is not just awesome, it is refreshing and inspirational.
Here is how it works:
1. Send photos to email@example.com with your name and the name of those pictured.
2. You can send a page or two if your photo comes with a fascinating, romantic or interesting backstory.
My Parents Were Awesome is a feel good site that speaks for itself. Take a look: