No Sew Curtains and DIY Window Treatment Ideas
Let’s talk curtains. Do you have them? I don’t, unless you count a shower curtain. I do have a few bamboo shades, but mostly, I don’t use window coverings because I live in the woods. A reader recently asked me if I have a simple DIY pattern for curtains. As a green home design enthusiast, I realized that curtains haven’t interested me that much.
So, I asked a master seamstress and fellow design enthusiast – my mom – about curtains. As you may know, I have lots of DIY chops, but sewing isn’t one of them. My mom always offers to help with decorating and mending projects that involve sewing.
Much to my surprise, mom says you don’t need to know how to sew to make curtains. Better yet, curtains and rods can be made from recycled and natural materials. Sheets and tablecloths make fine curtains. Curtain rods are easily created from decorative branches (see below).
- Curtains provide privacy and filter out light. How much light you want will determine the type of fabric you choose.
- If you need insulation and soundproofing, consider lining the curtains.
- What type of curtain? Choose your curtains like you would your clothes.
- Consider the length of the curtains like you might a dress skirt length. There are no real rules, but you don’t want to be tripping over them.
- When you choose a length, measure twice (always!).
- Keep it simple. With less frou frou on the top, the room will look taller.
DIY No-Sew Curtains
For more curtain inspiration, here are 10 no-sew window treatments from Better Homes and Gardens.
DIY Curtain Rods
DIY Tie Backs
Nautical ropes and knots work well for curtain tiebacks. Also, Thrifty Fun has a terrific round-up of tie backs made from ribbons, bandanas, barrettes, neckties, scarves, braided yarn, cord necklaces, fishing line, and jump ropes!
After checking out the window treatment possibilities, I am convinced curtains can bring a rustic elegance to a decorative and functional accessory. Am I a curtain convert? You bet!
Any other DIY curtain ideas?