3 Rules of Thumb for Non-Toxic Living
I was poisoned in 1979 and 1980, two back-to-back exposuresone to a gas leak and another to pesticidesand developed permanent central nervous system damage resulting in extreme sensitivity to most synthetic chemicals.
The result is that I’ve learned to live without toxic chemicals in my home for 25 years. I did this without getting a Ph.D. in chemistry. What I used were these rules of thumb, based on common sense. Try these guides for your life. Your health and the environment will be better for it.
1. Buy the most inert materials that you can find. These are materials that have low odor if any odor at all. One good way to identify them if the material doesn’t smell much, such as polycarbonate, is to realize that you would smell chemicals if they are burned. Examples of inert ingredients would be those made of stone or wood.
2. Buy ingredients with no label with a stronger “signal word” than “caution.” For example, “flammable” or “fatal if swallowed” indicates a warning stronger than “caution.”
3. Choose the least toxic product available every time you make a consumer purchase.
By Annie B. Bond