Noticing Your Spirit
Although it means “going beyond,” a better way to describe transcending is “seeing beyond.” What can you see beyond the apparently solid fašade of life, the constant flow of time, the limitations of space, and the laws of cause and effect? If the answer is very little, the reason is that your perception has not been trained for such vision. Yet every day contains clues of the second reality we all inhabit, which is timeless, unbounded, causeless, and intimately tied to our needs on the path to love.
This practice trains you to stop overlooking the spirit and love that surround you, waiting to be noticed.
Examine the following list to determine if you have experienced these clues of being connected to your spirit:
1. In the midst of danger or crisis, have you suddenly had the feeling of being completely safe and protected?
2. Have you been with someone who was dying and felt a sense of peace?
3. Have you known someone who recovered from an “incurable” illness?
4. Have you prayed and had your prayer answered?
5. Have you ever witnessed a soft light around another person or yourself?
6. Have you ever asked for silent guidance or the answer to a dilemma and received it?
7. When looking at a sunset, a full moon, or something of great natural beauty, have you felt yourself expand as if you were no longer enclosed within the physical limits of your body?
8. Have you experienced a silencing of your mind, perhaps just before going to sleep or upon first waking up?
9. Have you felt a loving presence when you most needed it?
10. Do you ever hear an inner voice you feel you can absolutely rely on? (This voice doesn’t have to speak in words; it can also be a strong feeling or intuition.)
11. Have you felt wonder at the sight of a newborn child?
12. When you think of any of these experiences that relate to you, do you feel that you are loved, safe, that part of your self watches over you, that you know, that the light is with you, that God is real, that nothing is wrong, that you are at peace, that things are OK, that you can love, that everything is one?
Attune yourself to spirit, and it will speak to you in love.
Adapted from The Path to Love, by Deepak Chopra (Three Rivers Press, 1997).