Even the hand-crank kind of pasta maker has other clever uses. In particular, avid bakers will especially get use out of a pasta maker.
Recipe: Whole Wheat Sesame Crackers
1. Put flour, water, oil, salt, and baking powder in food processor. Process for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture forms a ball.
2. Remove from food processor and let dough rest for 30 minutes-2 hours. You’ll want to cover it with a towel to prevent the dough from drying out.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Divide dough into four equal portions. Lightly flour work surface. Roll out dough until it’s thin enough to place in the pasta maker. Run through pasta maker until it’s about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Sprinkle lightly with sesame seeds and flaky salt. Continue rolling out dough enough to embed the seeds and salt.
6. Cut into 2-inch-wide strips. Poke strips evenly several times with a fork.
7. Carefully pick each strip up and lay it down on a cookie sheet. Bake crackers for 15 minutes, or until they are browned and crisp. Though they will continue to crisp as they cool, if they don’t seem crispy enough you can put them in the oven for a few more minutes.
8. Let cool completely and break crackers up into your desired size.
If you’d like to store your homemade crackers, do so in an airtight container at room temperature. They’ll stay crisp for about two weeks.
Recipe adapted from D.I.Y. Delicious by Vanessa Barrington and Sara Remington.
Other Ways to Use a Pasta Maker:
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.