Americans love their pets. Not only do over 73 million households own at least one pet (about 63 percent of all American households), these pet owners spent a whopping $50 billion on their furry, feathered, scaly friends last year! To celebrate this love, which admittedly can be odd at times, I have collected an interesting list of facts about Americans and their pets.
1. Americans spent over $50 billion dollars on their pets last year. That is more than on movies ($18 billion), video games ($25 billion) and children’s dental care ($30 billion).
2. Thirty-four percent of U.S. households have one or more cats, equaling about 86 million pet cats.
3. Thirty-nine percent of American households have one or more dogs, equaling about 78 million pet dogs.
4. Seattle has 1.5 dogs for every child.
5. Americans own more than 16 million birds, 9 million ferrets, 13 million small reptiles and 7.9 million horses.
6. Americans spend about $5 billion on holiday gifts for their pets.
7. Americans spend twice as much on pet food ($19 billion) than our government spends on the National School Lunch program.
8. Americans spend more on vet care and medical supplies ($25 billion) for their pets than they do on their own gym memberships ($17 billion) and vitamins ($6 billion) combined.
9. On average, family dogs visit the vet twice as often as men ages 18-45 visit their doctor.
10. Dog owners live up to three years longer than the average American.
Read more: Behavior & Communication, Caregiving, Cats, Conscious Consumer, Cute Pet Photos, Depression, Dogs, Everyday Pet Care, Family, Feline Muse, Friendship, Fun, Humor & Inspiration, Life, Love, Pet Health, Pets, Relationships, Remedies & Treatments, health benefits of owning a cat, health benefits of owning a dog, health benefits of pet ownership, how much do Americans spend on pets, pet ownership in America, pet ownership in the U.S., pet statistics
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.