Oven-Baked Parsnip Fries (Recipe)
I have to admit that, when I got a bunch of parsnips in my CSA box last week, my first thought was, “Wow these are the strangest carrots I’ve ever seen!” I knew parsnips were a thing that existed, sure, and I even think I’d had them at a friend’s house before, but I really had no idea what they looked like. Once I wised up, though, I gained a new appreciation — parsnips sure are tasty! Try this fantastic recipe, and share your favorite way to prepare parsnips in the comments section.
Oven-Baked Parsnip Fries
- 8 Parsnips, cleaned, peeled and cut into evenly-sized wedges
- 2 Egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1 1/3 Cup freshly-grated romano
- Coarse salt & freshly-ground pepper
Oven Temperature: 425 degrees.
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Grease with butter.
2. Beat egg whites and 2 teaspoons of dried oregano in a large bowl until the mixture is frothy.
3. Place parmesan on a plate. Working in batches, lightly coat parsnips in egg white mixture, and then coat with romano. Arrange parsnips on baking sheet, taking care not to let them touch. Sprinkle rosemary, salt and pepper on parsnips.
4. Place parnsips in oven and bake for about 15 minutes. Take out of oven, turn over, and return to one. Bake for an addition 5-10 minutes, until parnsips are cooked through and lightly crisped.
Bake until cooked through and crispy, about 20-25 minutes. Serve hot with pesto, marinara or hummus.
Recipe Adapted From: Sprouted Kitchen