Just the thought of peaches makes my mouth water, they are so sweet and fragrant. And upside-down cakes are fun–so I figured why not try a peach version instead of the usual pineapple?
Here, lush peaches spiced with just a hint of cinnamon and lemon and sweetened with brown sugar crown a moist golden cake, making a dessert that kids and adults will adore. Fruity, rich, and delicious!
2 cups sliced fresh peaches
1/2 cup brown sugar
cinnamon to taste
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Grease an 8-inch deep-dish pie plate or baking pan and cover the bottom with sliced peaches.
2. Sprinkle peaches with brown sugar, cinnamon to taste, and the lemon juice and rind. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour and stir gently to mix, then pour 3 tablespoons melted butter over that.
3. Make the batter: mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, butter, and milk until combined, then add to the flour mixture and beat until blended. If mixture is too dry, add milk until the consistency can be easily poured.
4. Pour batter evenly over fruit and bake for about 30 minutes.
5. Reverse the cake onto a platter and allow to cool slightly before serving.