This is such a honey of a pie, and you donít have to heat the oven up to make it. Juicy fresh peaches loll sensuously in a sweet-tart lemony sauce underneath a creamy yogurt topping. You can make the crunchy and delightful walnut crust in advance, or use a store-bought premade crust to really save time.
You serve it chilled, so itís cool, refreshing, and utterly divine.
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup fruit juice
1/4 cup honey
grated peel of one lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 fresh peaches, dipped briefly in boiling water, peeled, and chopped into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup yogurt or sour cream
1 walnut crust (see below), or premade crust
1. Mix cornstarch, fruit juice, and honey in a pan. Turn heat on to medium-high and bring to a boil, boiling until thick and clear, around 5 minutes.
2. Add lemon juice and peel and mix to combine.
3. Place diced peaches in premade pie crust and pour honey-lemon sauce over peaches.
4. Chill. Before serving, mix vanilla (and some honey or other sweetener, if desired) into yogurt or sour cream and gently spread on pie.
Serves 6 – 8.
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Combine dry ingredients. Gradually add honey and oil, mixing well. Press mixture into a buttered 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
2. Bake at 350F for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool before using.