Loaded with colorful veggies, this pesto pizza and Moroccan rainbow salad add up to a perfect meal. Whether as a hearty lunch or a light dinner, this flavorful pairing should delight all family members. It’s kid-friendly and easy to pack up for a tasty school lunch. Enjoy!
This vegetarian pizza recipe is easy to make. The feta and Kalamata olives really bring this pizza alive with flavor. We use marinara sauce and pesto, which combines the best of both worlds.
2 9-inch round pizza crusts, pre-made or homemade
⅔ cup marinara sauce of choice
¼ cup pesto sauce, can buy pre-made or use your favorite homemade recipe
½ red onion, minced
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped small
⅔ cup canned artichoke hearts, drained and cubed
⅔ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and lightly chopped
½ cup feta, crumbled
½ cup Monterey jack, shredded
½ cup mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place pizza crusts* on baking pan or pizza stone.
- Right before baking, layer on top of crust in order: marinara sauce, pesto, onion, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, feta, jack and mozzarella.
- Bake about 10 minutes, until browned. Watch carefully to avoid burning.
Serves: 4 to 6.
Cooking time: 45 minutes.
*Tip from the HeartMath Kitchen:
We like to use the Udi’s brand of pizza crusts. They are thin, crunchy and gluten-free. We prefer the thinner crusts, so the flavor of the toppings really comes through. You can find Udi’s at most natural foods stores or online.
Next – Rainbow Salad with Moroccan Dressing
It’s a rainbow in a bowl! This salad can make you happy just preparing it — it is so colorful — and even happier eating it. Serve it with our Moroccan Dressing, one of HeartMath Kitchen’s most popular dressings.
½ head romaine lettuce
½ head red leaf lettuce
⅓ head iceberg lettuce
½ cup English cucumbers, cut in quarter moons
½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
1 tomato, cut in chunks
½ cup carrots, shredded
½ cup purple cabbage, shredded
- Cut and wash lettuce. Spin in lettuce spinner and place in bowl.
- Prep other vegetables, and place on top of lettuce in the following order: cucumber, corn, tomato, carrot and purple cabbage.
Serves: 4 to 6
Total preparation time: 35 minutes.
A perfect fit with the Rainbow Salad. We like to jest in our kitchen about our “rock” dressing. We call it that because it would make a rock taste good! It can be used on many different salads, but is also great on brown rice, stir fry and steamed vegetables.
½ cup raw sesame seeds
5 tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
2 garlic cloves
5 tbsp. lemon juice
5 tbsp. water
2 cups olive oil
- Roast sesame seeds in pan at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until seeds turn light brown. Be careful not to burn.
- Place seeds in food processor along with tamari, and blend until the consistency is a loose paste. Scrape down sides and blend further.
- Add garlic cloves first, followed by lemon juice, egg and water. Continue to blend.
- Add olive oil in a steady stream while food processor is still running. The dressing texture is a medium thickness. Be careful not to over mix as it will become too thick, like a mayonnaise texture.
Serves: 6 to 8
Total preparation time: 25 minutes.